Jack celebrated his seventh birthday way back in October (only two months late to post here...)! So many people commented that he now seems more like a man than a child and while I don't agree (maybe out of denial), he does seem a bit longer and a bit leaner with pants that are too big in the waist and too short in the legs. More and more a big boy and less and less our baby.
Jack continues to be such a sensitive, tender boy and this makes him a truly amazing big brother. He is always looking out for Rigby and is genuinely happy and excited to have him around. He also quickly offers a helping hand to younger siblings of his friends and sometimes even prefers playing in their company rather than the company of children his own age.
While he can drive us crazy with his stubbornness and lack of reverence for authority, his kind heart always shows itself in the end. He is quick to argue, but equally quick to hug. He has been tested continuously with transitions to different houses (he has lived in 4 houses in his short life!), different cities, and different schools and he has just shone more brightly, seeming to welcome the adventure. Hopefully one last transitional test next year and then we will stay put for a long while.
Jack loves to be read to and is also starting to read a bit more to himself. David thinks that as soon as the world of reading really opens up for him, that he is going to love diving into books. We continue to read chapter books to him before bed and have recently read some Hardy Boys, Boxcar Children, and nearly the whole Roald Dahl collection. He is a good listener and his comprehension is quite excellent. He always asks about a word he doesn't know and he pays particular attention to all the details.
He has become fond of jokes and joke telling. We bought him a few joke books for his birthday which he really likes to flip through. His sharp wit allows him to create some funny jokes on his own too and he is quick to understand the humor in the jokes he hears.
He continues to love art, although his free time for drawing has decreased with an increase in afternoon free play with the neighborhood children. He loves unstructured play time and will play outside for hours if friends are around. Organized sports and activities are still not of interest, although he participated in an acting class during the fall which he seemed to really enjoy. He was excited about the end of the class performance and reminded us several times that he was acting "on the real stage".
Shows and movies continue to be highly regarded among favorite activities and, thus, they are the biggest motivators. He has also taken to "searching" the internet for obscure (vintage and pricey) toys and old shows on YouTube. Today he is all things Pink Panther- the show, the figurine, the characters and he has gotten his friends into it as well; it's quite funny to see a group of 4-7 year olds watching and talking about such an old school cartoon! He is allowed 10 minutes of computer time each night once he is ready for bed, unless he has this taken away during the day as a result of making poor choices.
I’ve continued our birthday tradition by asking Jack the same set of questions each year…it is fun to see the changes and the similarities (mostly the similarities) in his answers from year to year!
1. What is your favorite color? Blue and Light Pink
2. What is your favorite toy? Pink Panther
3. What is your favorite fruit? Mango, Blueberries, and Honey Dew
4. What is your favorite thing to watch? Pink Panther
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Hamburger
6. What is your favorite thing to wear? Snowboarding Ninja Mask
7. What is your favorite game? Slamwich
8. What is your favorite snack? Peanut Butter with Apple Slices
9. What is your favorite animal? Panther/Tiger/Wolf
10. What is your favorite song? Can't Stop the Feeling by Justin Timberlake
11. What is your favorite book? Witches by Roald Dahl
12. Who is your best friend? Kenneth
13. What is your favorite cereal? Life and Lucky Charms
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Play with friends
15. What is your favorite drink? Lemonade
16. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Pink Panther
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Pancakes and Bacon
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? Hot Dogs
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? Person who Works at a Restaurant