Six years old...Such a BIG kid now!
I recently skimmed (I will eventually read it in its entirety but I have yet to have a chance to do so) the book "Your Six Year Old: Loving and Defiant," which I think has perfectly described Jack since he hit the 5 1/2 year mark, coinciding with Rigby's arrival. Each day holds moments that completely drive us crazy. He has an inexplicable need to move his body all the time- I wonder if this makes learning while having to sit still at his school desk difficult for him. He chooses the most baffling things about which to be stubborn. And, he grows frustrated about things, like his artwork, every easily. But there are more moments each day where we see how creative his thoughts are, how curious of a mind he has, and how sweet his heart is.
Jack loves to be read to and to listen to us tell him stories of which he chooses the characters involved. Reading is both a very calming and pleasurable activity for him. He loves Roald Dahl books, Charlotte's Web, and Harry Potter (although we stopped reading at book two since the concepts are starting to get scarier and more abstract with the time travel). His vocabulary is quite extensive and he loves learning new words or ways to say things. Our mornings are marked by him illustrating books typically of a story he has just read, or by building a new Lego creation. He is always designing his own Lego to play with and he always says, "This looks like it came from a Lego kit you buy, right, Mama?" and often, it really does. He has a knack for design and creativity.
He continues to excel at art. His drawings are full of great detail and he is able to create a very well illustrated book of 10 pages or so in about 30 minutes. He also loves unstructured play time and he is great at independent play. I mention unstructured because he still struggles with activities with directions or coaching even when they seem fun to him (soccer, swimming, riding a bike...). I will say that we witnessed a huge amount of growth and skill after the latest soccer season and we were so proud of him for sticking with it and really trying!
Movies might be Jack's most favorite thing. He got to go to the theatre this summer with my parents to see a lot of the children's summer movie series, which he loved. His latest favorites are Paddington, Toy Story, and Star Wars.
Jack is a very sensitive kid. He’s always very aware of how others feel and is often the first person to comfort a friend on the playground when they take a tumble. His classmates remarked at his birthday circle that he often helps them when they need it and that he is very good at taking turns. Most of the children commented that he is a very good friend. Of course, this makes us so proud. His sensitive spirit is very apparent with Rigby. He absolutely adores his baby brother and is the first to run and comfort him when he cries. He probably gives him about 50 kisses daily which just melts my heart.
He continues to be an exceptionally great eater! He has tried testing us this summer by saying that he doesn't like certain things that we are having for dinner, but when it comes down to actually eating them, there is little left on the plate. Until recently he did not like any sandwich aside from peanut butter and jam, but he is now eating ham and cheese or nutella and banana if the bread makes the cut. He eats peanut butter every day, often eating it with just a spoon.
I’ve continued our birthday tradition by asking Jack the same set of questions each year at this time…it is fun to see the changes and the similarities in his answers from year to year!
1. What is your favorite color? Blue
2. What is your favorite toy? Scooby Doo Haunted House
3. What is your favorite fruit? Mango
4. What is your favorite thing to watch on TV? Scooby Doo
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
6. What is your favorite thing to wear? Bandit winter hat
7. What is your favorite game? Scooby Doo Haunted House
8. What is your favorite snack? Peanut butter in a cup
9. What is your favorite animal? Wolf
10. What is your favorite song? Darth Vader theme song
11. What is your favorite book? Witches by Roald Dahl
12. Who is your best friend? Lilly
13. What is your favorite cereal? Golden Grahams
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Play football
15. What is your favorite drink? Lemonade
16. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? I don't take anything
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Cereal
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? Parfaits
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? Construction worker
I love this child SO much and am grateful every day that he made me a Mama!
Happy Sixth Birthday, Buddy! We love you so!