a day off

i hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.  i had a great one, even though i was flying solo on friday and saturday while david was away at a conference. i am still reminiscing over last week, when i had a lovely and rare day off in the middle of the week since i worked over the weekend.  i spent the day wisely and got everything on my to-do list crossed off, but also still relaxed and enjoyed my time away from work.

the day started with the a reading of the new york times (wednesdays are my favorite because of the dining section and i especially enjoyed the julie and julia article: film food, ready for its "bon appetit"- wouldn't it be so much fun to be a food stylist---i would love that job!  and mark bittman's recipe (i LOVE all his recipes...i really must get his cookbook) stone fruit patchwork bake.  i plan to make this soon and will share my results...

next, i ordered lots of decor stuff for our baby boy's room!  i am so excited to get everything in its place and then just be able to sit in the room and enjoy it all.  i will post pictures as each part of the room is complete.  i think the crib area will be the first one finished, so i look forward to sharing it with you soon.  i, then, finished the book i had been reading (for way too long)...a walk in the woods by bill bryson.  it was very good, but i am happy to be moving on to my next book (which i started within minutes of finishing a walk in the woods)- consider the oyster by mfk fischer.  already, this book makes me long to be near the sea.

i made deliciously tasty granola too.  it's so simple and so good, every time i make it i wonder why i ever buy granola!  i combined 4 cups of toasted old fashioned oats with 1 cup of chopped pecans, 2 cups of whole almonds, 1/3 cup of light brown sugar, 3/4 cup of olive oil (this is the secret to extra tasty granola), 1/2 cup of honey, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.  i baked it on 350F for 45 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes.  yummy!!!   and, it will keep in a tupperware for up to 2 weeks.

i even had time in my day to take a walk with sadie, nap for an hour, talk to dad, make a lovely dinner, and watch top chef masters.  it's all in a day's non-work!